Monday, November 21, 2011

UC Davis Rally at the Quad-November 21st, 2011



This is a message I received from one of my friends who was at the rally today:
Today 5000+ people gathered together on the quad. A stage was set up for speakers. 20+ students, faculty and UC and UCD employees spoke out against police brutality, tuition hikes, and the resignation of the Chancellor. The world was literally watching. Major Television broadcasters were there even UNIVISION (the spanish station). The people spoke out and made great point all of which were cheere...d on by claps, snaps and fist pumps. I personally wanted to see the chancellor speak. I slithered through hundreds of tall people, so that I could get a great view. The crowd was hungry for her presence. Once she was on stage, the entire 5000+ remained silent. there were no snaps, claps not even a thumbs down. She had the chance to speak and this is what she said in a weak voice in comparison to the other speakers.`I want to apologize for the incident that happened last week. Those actions do not make the UCD campus a safe place. I want to work together so that I can gain your trust. So that we can become a community once more. I will set up a place next week so that we can have conversations about the situation.' Mark Yudof, the president of the UC's, has proposed a teleconference with the chancellor and 3 other UC's. Now UCD is holding a strike on that day Nov. 28 i believe (dont quote me though) Captain Pike the man who initiated the pepper spray frenzy has been temporarily suspended from what I know, but the students here want UCD Police to remain off campus because of their riot gear incident.


 

I really wish I could be there to support my fellow Aggies.
Thinking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment