Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Carnevale a Venezia

A few weeks ago I took a trip to Venice for the Carnevale there. It's pretty much a religious holiday bringing in the start of Lent. Everyone is dressed in elaborate costumes and out showing off their beauty. It's a holiday for people of all ages. 

This trip almost didn't happen for me. I had actually declined going because I have already been to Venice but I had that gut feeling you know that I was making a mistake. So, the day before the trip I searched for a reasonable priced hostel and got a train ticket. I am so glad I made that decision because I would have regretted not going for sure. 

I stayed at a hostel in the city center that was anything but glamorous. Finding it took two maps and two hours. It was an adventure that I experience with my roomie Adriana. Then hunting down a meal at a reasonable price was almost impossible. Shortly after we went site seeing all over Venice. I got to experience different streets from my previous trips and of course saw many people dressed in costumes.  At night there was a show on the big stage. It was dance and music from the 20's,30's and 40's. It was brilliant! We had a few drinks, pizza, took pics and just experienced the Carnevale to the fullest. The next day was pretty much the same. Of course we took plenty of pictures. Some of these are my favorite pictures of me in Italy period. I loved everything about this trip! 
 Beautiful Venice. :)
 These are the lovely ladies I went with Adriana, Lucy and Silja. Missing is Kiki who is taking the picture. 
Venice in a popular destination always but on the week of Carnevale there are ridiculous amounts of tourists everywhere. 
 Venice is known for their masks and on the week of Carnevale it is almost mandatory to be sporting one of these. 
 Venice never disappoints me. 
 This was my third visit to Venezia and I still have not been on a gondola. Maybe I would go on one if the gondoliers actually sang like in the movies. One day I will give in and pay the ridiculous amount required to have a ride on a gondola but not this year!
 Some of the streets are so narrow I almost don't fit through them. 

 Venezia bliss. 


 For me Carnevale was the Italian equivalent to Halloween. Sure most people were in full traditional costume but then you ran into characters like this. We didn't even know what this was!
Adriana and I went around asking "Man or Woman?" Because really, you couldn't tell behind those masks and some of those women were suspiciously tall. 
Loved spotting families in full costume. 
Black Angel
This woman had a live bird in her hair. True Story.
Me among the crowd.  
The had a gondola show with everyone dressed in elaborate costumes. There was music and tons of people crowded on the Realto Bridge desperately trying to get a glimpse of all the beauty.
Non vedo l'ora per ritornare a Venezia.

Mia♡

No comments:

Post a Comment